Sunday, May 11, 2014

#SPeekSunday - 5/11/14 - Deadly Enchantment - Serena calls Westcroft's bluff #Shapeshifters #ParanormalRomance


An unhappy shape shifter can be a dangerous companion....

For Sneak Peek Sunday authors share six paragraphs from a published work or a WIP (work in progress).


My excerpt for this week is from my 2nd book, Deadly Enchantment.  A shapeshifting wizard romance set in Victorian England published by New Concepts Publishing, 



In this snippet, which occurs in the middle of the second chapter, Dominic Westcroft has returned from London to discover his sister has invited several young women to his home, so he can select a new bride.  What neither he nor his sister suspects, however, is that one of the women is actually his deceased bride's sister.  Tormented by guilt over his wife's tragic and brutal death, Dominic has no intention of ever marrying again.  However, when his show of temper accidentally reveals one of their guests possesses magical abilities she's trying to keep hidden, he invites the ladies join him for dinner, so he can rout her out.  His resulting magical show ends up causing a few of the women to cry out in dismay, so Serena calls an end to the charade by revealing herself as the woman with whom he had psychically linked a few hours previously.  Serena knows she's taking a huge risk by standing up to him, but she believes doing so will put an end to his magical shenanigans without revealing her true identity. However, when Westcroft intimates he knows her secret, her chair magically rises into the air, and Serena fears the worst.


             “I see that finally got your attention,” Westcroft crowed, raising her up another foot.
            “I have no idea what you mean,” Serena replied with as innocent an expression as she could muster sitting at least ten feet off the floor.  Another ten feet and her head would be brushing the ceiling.
            “Ah, but I think you do.”  Her chair rose another foot in the air.  “Your pallor gives you away.”
            “If my color is drained, sir, it is most likely due to the heights in which you have placed me, not because I have garnered any secret meaning to your words.”
            “So you say,” he murmured thoughtfully, as she was lifted one more foot.  “But I felt your powers when you reached out to mine.  Thus I know what you are, and no protests of innocence from those lovely lips will persuade me otherwise.”
            Her fear of discovery eased slightly with his admission, but she kept her expression neutrally blank.  “Then I have nothing left to say to you, sir.  If you intend to raise me to the ceiling then dash me to the floor, I pray you get on with it quickly.  I’m beginning to feel quite lightheaded up here and the screams from below aren’t helping to ease my headache.”


Dominic Westcroft has caught the mouse with his trap, now he intends to expose her for the deceitful liar he takes her to be.
M/F, Shape shifting  wizards in Victorian England.

Read the first three chapters at: Deadly Enchantment

Available at NCPAmazonBarnes & Noble or ARe

Thanks for visiting.  I hope you enjoyed this brief excerpt and want more. Please click the link below to continue your hop Sneak Peek Sunday.  Wishing you a wonderful journey.


4 comments:

  1. Fun excerpt! Love the characters, and what an interesting little predicament. Great visual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree ..great visual! Wonderful fun snippet. Enjoyed this :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to conduct an interrogation! I love her fearlessness too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I love how he keeps lifting her higher. She's keeps her cool, though.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers, so thank you for making my day! Writers with any thoughts at all (Naughty or otherwise) love comments, and I'm no exception.