Thursday, August 22, 2013

Guest Post - Dinah McLeod - A Truly Errant Bride?

I'm delighted to have Dinah McLeod as a guest on my couch today.  She's promised to give us some juicy background on her novel, "The Errant Bride," as well as a few details about her upcoming sequel "Mona's Second Chance," due out this September.

First of all, Dinah, why don't you tell us what inspired you to write your first book, "The Errant Bride"?

The Errant Bride, is about Sara Harris, who is newly married to the man of her dreams, Ethan. She thinks everything is going well and is surprised to discover that he disagrees. They have a discussion via a bare bottomed spanking, and she is thrust into the world of domestic discipline which changes a lot of things between them but in the end strengthens their love.

I practice DD in real life, and I also was the one who brought it to my husband. Writing helps me explore, and I was interested in exploring the emotions behind DD because while I’d felt them I hadn’t been able to articulate them, so I took that as a challenge. Also, I thought it would be neat to try to see my husband’s viewpoint through the eyes of my character, Sara.

I like the fact you decided to try to put your personal feelings into words.  So, how long did you write before you were published?

I’ve been writing my whole life, really. Apparently I was pretty talkative from the get-go, so in first grade my teacher devised a way to keep me quiet while the other kids were still working: she had me write a story! Interestingly enough, she thought I was pretty good and had me make into a “real” book and had me showcase it, so that’s where it all started. The Errant Bride, my first work, is the only thing I’ve ever submitted for publication. I was very excited that it was accepted and published.


A writer's first publication is always very exciting.  Since you were trying to give expression to your feelings in The Errant Bride, did you include any experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

I haven’t done that…yet. But I intend to soon, if permission is granted by the proper authorities. J

Hopefully, the proper authorities will be amenable to your request.  So, tell us, what is the most you have written in one day?

19 pages. I consider it quite a feat and have never done as much before or since!


That is impressive.  Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

I know this is going to sound odd, but the thing I find the most challenging is keeping myself interested. I have learned very quickly that if I’m bored, I just can’t write it. That was a particular challenge in my last book where I had to keep redoing and redoing scenes until I liked them. And of course, if you’re bored your reader probably will be, too!

Only too true.  So, what are your current projects?

My next book that is coming out is called “Mona’s Second Chance” about a divorced woman still in love with her ex-husband. Mona is making an effort to move on with her life until Colby follows through on a threat to spank her! But can they make it work this time around?


I love second chance romances.  If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

There are so many! Since I’ve joined what I joking call “Spanking Facebook” I’ve had such great experiences with so many amazing authors. Renee Rose, as previously mentioned, Constance Masters, Courage Knight, Patty Devlin, and Kathryn Blake, of course! I could go on and on. Each one of them has been a huge help to me and that is so encouraging because this is a business that takes a while to develop, and that can be disheartening. Without all of them I don’t know if my experience as a writer would be so enjoyable.

They are all great spanking romance authors who I enjoy reading as well (and yes, I also enjoy my own books).  So, what are you currently reading?

And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini; he is an amazingly gifted writer I love every one of his books. I am also reading Safe in His Arms by Renee Rose, who is another very talented writer. I have been excited to discover her work—it’s funny, sexy, and enthralling all at once.



I really like the cover for The Errant Bride.  Can you tell us who designed it?

Erin Dameron-Hill. She did such an amazing job—I love my cover, and she is definitely a hard act to follow, because I’m pretty sure thanks to her creative brilliance I am going to judge covers a lot more critically in the future!

On a lighter note, if you could have any super power, what would it be?

The power to see into the future. I think we all have questions we’d like the answers to.

I think being able to predict the future is scary, especially if you don't have the power to change it. What is your best guilty pleasure? (By best I mean worst.)

Honestly my best/worst guilty pleasure is spanking stories! Sorry, I wish I could be more interesting but that’s honestly the raciest thing about me.

I do understand what you mean.  I love settling down to read, and reading helps your craft as well. Speaking of craft, do you have any advice for other writers?

Keep writing, no matter how bad you think it is! And DO NOT ERASE! You might be able to use it later, or even for another story. I never erase anything. What you think is garbage now might be a gem later.

Great advice.  So, below is a little information about Dinah, where we can find her, and where we can purchase The Errant Bride.

Dinah McLeod is a writer of spanking fiction and a stay at home mom to two beautiful, crazy-funny little girls. Her hobbies include reading spanking romances while blushing, cleaning toilets, and wishing for the super power of invisibility so that she could take a nap.

Social Links:






Purchase Links for The Errant Bride:

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Errant-Bride-ebook/dp/B00DHRYOPA

Blushing Books: http://www.blushingbooks.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2429


6 comments:

  1. Both books sound great. I chuckled over the whole "she thinks everything is great, but he doesn't agree".

    Will you be sending a copy of your book to your first grade teacher to thank her for her inspiration? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celeste...............................No. That it all. :)
    Thanks so much for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha- Celeste is such a wise crack.... Great interview. I love your covers too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Pooky! I have gotten really lucky with some great artists!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview Dinah and Kathryn! And Celeste gets the smart ass prize for the day! Well done lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Constance! Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers, so thank you for making my day! Writers with any thoughts at all (Naughty or otherwise) love comments, and I'm no exception.